I have noticed since my own divorce the number of people my age (and younger) who have been married three times. Three men I dated were married thrice. All of them were nice, hard-working, and respectable individuals who tried their best to make their second and third marriages work. My former sister-in-law, also divorce-prone, is married to her third husband. In between these unions, she had two serious relationships with men with whom she bought and shared a house.
Had I married my first serious beau after my divorce, I'd be divorced twice by now. The thought is mindboggling.
From the start I was leery of the rebound relationship I embarked on after my divorce. The big warning signal? This wonderful man had been married three times already. Nevertheless, I went out with him and fell in love because:
- He was different from Bob
- He was kind, gentle, and sexy
- I needed affirmation as a woman
- He made me laugh at a time when I was still crying
- I was lonely
- We loved and cared for each other
- We had nothing in common, not even politics
- The relationship was going nowhere
- We were getting restless